- Dr. Marisa Young is participating in the Half-day Conference: Healthy Children and Families on Monday, February 8, 2016 from 1pm to 4:30pm at the David Braley Health Sciences Centre in downtown Hamilton. One of five speakers, she will be speaking on "Neighbourhood Influences on Parents’ Work-Family Conflict and the Implications for Child Health and Well-Being.” This half-day conference is part of the “Big Ideas, Better Cities” series, and a wonderful opportunity to highlight some of the amazing research in our department. Here is the link for the conference: http://bigideasbettercities.mcmaster.ca/event-four.html where you can register.
- PhD candidate and Sherman Graduate Fellow Deena Abul Fottouh blogs about her dissertation research on social movements and social media in Egypt at Sherman Centre for Digital Scholarship. Read more...
- At the recent 2015 American Sociological Association annual meeting in Chicago Professor Tina Fetner's social movement book How the Religious Right Shaped Gay and Lesbian Activism (2008) was highlighted by two different panelists at a major plenary on "The Politics of Same-Sex Marriage: Public Opinion and the Courts". You can hear the plenary here. Professor Fetner's work is mentioned at 44 minutes and 10 seconds, and again at 118 minutes and 52 seconds.
- Dr. Lisa Kaida has published the following article: “Ethnic Variations in Immigrant Poverty Exit and Female Employment: The Missing Link” Demography 52(2): 485-511.
- Dr. Marisa Young has published the following articles:
Young, Marisa, Jean Wallace and Alicia Polachek. 2015, “Gender Differences in Perceived Domestic Equity: A Study of Professionals.” Journal of Family Issues, 36(13), 1751-1781.
Young, Marisa. 2015. “Work-Family Conflict in Context: The Impact of Structural and Perceived Neighborhood Disadvantage on Work-Family Conflict.” Social Science Research, 50, 311-327.
- Dr. Jeffrey Denis has published an article, “Contact Theory in a Small-Town Settler-Colonial Context: The Reproduction of Laissez-Faire Racism in Indigenous-White Canadian Relations.” in the American Sociological Review 80(1): 218-242.
- Dr. Lina Samuel published "Family, Religion and the Re-Terriotoriazation of Culture Within the South Asian Diaspora" in Guida Man and Rina Cohen (editors) Engendering Transnational Voices (Wilfred Laurier Press, 2015).
- Dr. Phillipa Chong published “Playing Nice, Being Mean, and the Space in Between: Book Critics and the Difficulties of Writing Bad Reviews” in the book Moments of Valuation (Oxford University Press: 2015) edited by Antal, Hutter and Stark.
- Dr. Phillipa Chong article,"A Post-Bourdieusian Sociology of Valuation and Evaluation for the Field of Cultural Production" (2016) is forthcoming in Routledge Handbook of Sociology edited by Stefan Beljean, Phillipa Chong, and Michèle Lamont.
- Dr. Victor Satzewich was interviewed by Global National News and CTV National News on China's announcement of the end of its one child policy. And by the Toronto Star, National Post Radio and Blacklock's Reporter (Ottawa) on the Canadian Government's Syrian refugee resettlement plans.
- Dr. Jasmin Hristov ( assistant professor in sociology and author of Paramilitarism and Neoliberalism: Violent Systems of Capital Accumulation in Colombia and Beyond ) spoke on the TV program Global Journalist on the topic "Colombia's Deal with the FARC". The participants were high profile political leaders and journalists: Mauricio Rodriguez, an adviser to Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos, Sibylla Brodzinsky, a freelance journalist whose work has appeared in The Guardian and The Economist and Ricardo Avila, editor-in-chief of Portafolio and deputy editor-in-chief of El Tiempo.
- Dr. Paul Glavin has published the following articles:
Glavin, Paul. 2015. “Perceived Job Insecurity and Health: Do Duration and Timing Matter?” The Sociological Quarterly 56(2):300-328.
Glavin, Paul and Amanda Peters. 2015. “The Costs of Caring: Caregiver Strain and Work-Family Conflict Among Canadian Workers.” Journal of Family and Economic Issues 36:5-20.
- Dr. Lisa Kaida forthcoming publication: Sano, Yujiro, Lisa Kaida, and Eric Tenkorang “Racial Variations in Ethnic Identity among the Children of Immigrants in Canada” Canadian Ethnic Studies 47(3): 49-68.