- Dr. Vanina Leschziner delivered an invited talk on her book, “At the Chef’s Table: Culinary Creativity in Elite Restaurants” at the Department of Sociology, McMaster University. Click here to watch the video.
- At the recent 2015 American Sociological Association annual meeting in Chicago Professor Tina Fetner's social movement book How the Religious Right Shaped Gay and Lesbian Activism (2008) was highlighted by two different panelists at a major plenary on "The Politics of Same-Sex Marriage: Public Opinion and the Courts". You can hear the plenary here. Professor Fetner's work is mentioned at 44 minutes and 10 seconds, and again at 118 minutes and 52 seconds.
- Ph.D Candidate Roger Pizarro Milian receives an $11,495 OHCRIF grant from Ontario’s Ministry of Training, Colleges & Universities to explore ways to improve university compliance with provincial policies. This project is part of a broader research program that applies organizational theories to institutional behaviour within postsecondary education (PSE). Roger’s project was only one of 17 awarded to a select group of researchers across Ontario. The OHCRIF initiative supports research on PSE, labour market and training policy.
- PhD students Alan Santinele Martino who received the 2015 Notable Mention for Outstanding Graduate Student Paper for the ASA Section on Disability and Society? His paper is titled: “Power struggles over the sexuality of individuals with intellectual disabilities in Alberta, Canada.”
- PhD candidate Deena Abul Fottouh has been selected as a 2015 Sherman Graduate Fellow at the Luis and Rich Sherman Centre for Digital Scholarship. Read more...
- Dr. Jeffrey Denis has published an article, “Contact Theory in a Small-Town Settler-Colonial Context: The Reproduction of Laissez-Faire Racism in Indigenous-White Canadian Relations.” in the American Sociological Review 80(1): 218-242.
- Dr. Lina Samuel published "Family, Religion and the Re-Terriotoriazation of Culture Within the South Asian Diaspora" in Guida Man and Rina Cohen (editors) Engendering Transnational Voices (Wilfred Laurier Press, 2015).
- Dr. Phillipa Chong published “Playing Nice, Being Mean, and the Space in Between: Book Critics and the Difficulties of Writing Bad Reviews” in the book Moments of Valuation (Oxford University Press: 2015) edited by Antal, Hutter and Stark.
- Dr. Phillipa Chong article,"A Post-Bourdieusian Sociology of Valuation and Evaluation for the Field of Cultural Production" (2016) is forthcoming in Routledge Handbook of Sociology edited by Stefan Beljean, Phillipa Chong, and Michèle Lamont.
- Dr. Gregory Hooks has published the following article: Hooks, G., Smith, C. L. & Lengefeld, M. published (2014). The war on drugs in Colombia: the environment, the treadmill of destruction and risk-transfer militarism. Journal of World-System Research, 20(2), 182-203.
- Dr. Marisa Young has published the following articles:
Young, Marisa, Jean Wallace and Alicia Polachek. 2015, “Gender Differences in Perceived Domestic Equity: A Study of Professionals.” Journal of Family Issues, 36(13), 1751-1781.
Young, Marisa. 2015. “Work-Family Conflict in Context: The Impact of Structural and Perceived Neighborhood Disadvantage on Work-Family Conflict.” Social Science Research, 50, 311-327.
- Dr. Paul Glavin has published the following articles:
Glavin, Paul. 2015. “Perceived Job Insecurity and Health: Do Duration and Timing Matter?” The Sociological Quarterly 56(2):300-328.
Glavin, Paul and Amanda Peters. 2015. “The Costs of Caring: Caregiver Strain and Work-Family Conflict Among Canadian Workers.” Journal of Family and Economic Issues 36:5-20.
- Dr. Jasmin Hristov ( assistant professor in sociology and author of Paramilitarism and Neoliberalism: Violent Systems of Capital Accumulation in Colombia and Beyond ) spoke on the TV program Global Journalist on the topic "Colombia's Deal with the FARC". The participants were high profile political leaders and journalists: Mauricio Rodriguez, an adviser to Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos, Sibylla Brodzinsky, a freelance journalist whose work has appeared in The Guardian and The Economist and Ricardo Avila, editor-in-chief of Portafolio and deputy editor-in-chief of El Tiempo.