- The Department Of Sociology Present Dr. Lesley J. Wood , Associate Professor of Sociology ,York University, Public Lecture "Crisis and Control: The Militarization of Protest Policing" Thursday, March 12, 2015 Read more
- Dr. Elena Neiterman, Assistant Professor of Sociology, received ARB funding for her project: "The Impact of Work Placement on Student Retention."
- Sociology graduate student Kerry Bailey is the successful recipient of a Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship.
- Dorothy Pawluch delivered the 8th Annual Qualitative Lecture at St. Thomas University on October 3, 2014. The lecture series is sponsored by the Atlantic Centre for Qualitative Research and Analysis. The title of Dorothy’s talk was “From Sin to Sickness: Shifting Ideas About Being Different.” Dorothy also offered a workshop titled: “Where to Stand: The Dilemma of Positionality for Qualitative Researchers.”
- Congratulations to Sociology graduate Roger Pizarro Milian’s his contribution to a HEQCO report: “Private Career Colleges an Under Examined Part of Ontario’s Postsecondary System”. Read more
- Two Sociology alumni to receive McMaster Alumni Association Community Impact Awards. Read about their contributions to the Hamilton and Toronto communities here. Read more
- Sociology graduate Rebecca Casey is the winner of the 2014 McMaster 3MT People’s Choice Award with her presentation, “Health outcomes following a work injury”. Read more
- Jeff Denis' article "Contact Theory in a Small-Town Settler-Colonial Context: The Reproduction of Laissez-Faire Racism in Indigenous-White Canadian Relations." has been published in the current issue of the American Sociological Review.
- Paul Glavin's article "Control in the Face of Uncertainty: Is Job Insecurity a Challenge to the Mental Health Benefits of Control Beliefs?" has been published in the current issue of Social Psychology Quarterly.
- Melanie Heath has been elected to the Sociologist for Women in Society (SWS) Nominations committee for a two-year term beginning February 2015. The nominations committee is responsible for building a strong and diverse pool of candidates for all elected positions in SWS.
- Vic Satzewich's article “Canadian Visa Officers and the Social Construction of "Real" Spousal Relationships.” has been published in the current issue of the Canadian Review of Sociology. The issue also features Scott Davies' article with Vicky Maldonado and David Zarifa: "Effectively Maintaining Inequality in Toronto: Predicting Student Destinations in Ontario Universities."
- Professor Melanie Heath's book "One Marriage Under God: The Campaign to Promote Marriage in America" is quoted in this Fox News opinion piece on the economic benefits of marriage. A response to the Fox piece published on www.theday.com also references Heath's work.
- A forum on racism hosted by sociology PhD candidate Ismael Traore and moderated by Social Work Assistant Professor Ameil Joseph is covered in The Hamilton Spectator.