Ph.D. (Sociology), University of Glasgow, 1988
- Immigration and Administrative Discretion. This SSHRC-funded project involves, in part, an analysis of how overseas immigration officers understand and apply their discretionary authority when it comes to assessing applications for both permanent and temporary residence in Canada. This is an ongoing project where I have been visiting Canada’s overseas visa offices to better understand how local contexts shape the way that visa officers decide on who gets into Canada.
- The International Union of the Save the Children Fund. Founded in the aftermath of the First World War, the International Union of the Save the Children Fund, was a pioneer in the field of children's rights and international child welfare. In collaboration with Professor Linda Mahood (History, University of Guelph), we are interested in the ways in which the International Union framed issues of international child welfare. We are also examining the Union's fund raising strategies and techniques, and its relationships with other child welfare governmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Policing, Minorities and Immigration. This refers to a cluster of projects that I have been doing with my colleague William Shaffir. Over the past several years, we have been variously interested in policing and racial profiling, and how police services in small and medium sized cities in Ontario understand the challenges and opportunities associated with the presence of a more diverse array of immigrants in their respective communities.
Research Grant, ‘Immigrants and Policing: Policy, Training and Practice’, $30,000. William Shaffir Principle Investigator, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (Ontario Region). 2010-2011. Vic Satzewich, Co-Investigator.
Standard Research Grant. ‘British and Canadian Responses to Famine in Russia and Ukraine’, 1921-23’, $54,000. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. 2009-2012, Linda Mahood, Principal Investigator. Vic Satzewich, Co-Investigator.
Standard Research Grant, ‘Immigration and Administrative Discretion in Canada’, $78,000, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, 2009-2012, Vic Satzewich, Principal Investigator.
and University Research Alliance (CURA) Grant, ‘Welcoming Communities:
Working to Improve the Inclusion of Visible Minorities in Second and Third Tier Cities in Ontario’. $1,000,000. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, 2008-2014, Collaborator.
Public Policy Project, ‘The Formation of Inter-Ethnic Tolerance in Russian Society: A Training Project', University of Calgary Gorbachev Foundation, 2002 – Vic Satzewich And Leokadiya Drobizheva (Moscow State University), Co-Principal Investigators.
Research Grant. “‘Fourth Wave' Ukrainian Immigration in North America”, Heritage Foundation of the 1 st Security Federal Savings Bank of Chicago, 2000-2002. Sev Isajiw, Vic Satzewich and Eugene Duvalko, Co-Principal Investigators.
Arts Research Board, ‘The Incorporation of Recent Immigrants from Ukraine', McMaster University, May, 1998. Vic Satzewich, Principle Investigator.
Canadian Ethnic Studies Senior Fellowship, The Ukrainian Diaspora and Post-Soviet State Formation', Heritage Canada, 1997 - 1998. Vic Satzewich, Principal Investigator.
Standard Research Grant, ‘The Ukrainian Diaspora and Post-Soviet State Formation', Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, 1996-1999. Vic Satzewich, Principle Investigator.
Standard Research Grant, ‘Indian Agents in Canada: Representation and Social Control', Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, 1992-96. Vic Satzewich, Principle Investigator, Linda Mahood Co-Investigator
Aid to Occasional Scholarly Conferences, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, 1991, (For organization of conference on ‘Immigration, Racism and Multiculturalism: the 1990s and Beyond', University of Saskatchewan, March, 1991).
Canadian Ethnic Studies Conference Grant, Department of Secretary of State, Multiculturalism Directorate, 1991, (For organization of conference on ‘Immigration, Racism and Multiculturalism: the 1990s and Beyond', University of Saskatchewan, March, 1991).President's SSHRC Fund, 'The Social Construction in Canada of Race Relations in Britain', University of Saskatchewan, 1989 - 1990.
- V. Satzewich and N. Liodakis. 'Race' and Ethnicity in Canada: A Critical Introduction (Third Edition). Toronto: Oxford University Press [First Edition published in 2007].
- V. Satzewich, 2011. Racism in Canada. Oxford University Press.
- V. Satzewich and L. Wong, Editors. 2006. Transnational Identities and Practices in Canada. Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press.
- V. Satzewich. 2002. The Ukrainian Diaspora. London: Routledge.
- V. Satzewich, editor, 1998. Racism and Social Inequality in Canada, Toronto: Thompson Educational Publishers.
- V. Satzewich and Terry Wotherspoon, 2001. First Nations: Race, Class and Gender Relations. Regina: Canadian Plains Research Centre (reprint, with a new introduction of the 1993 Nelson edition).
- V. Satzewich, editor, 1992. Deconstructing A Nation: Immigration, Multiculturalism and Racism in 90's Canada. Halifax: Fernwood Press.
- V. Satzewich, 1991. Racism and the Incorporation of Foreign Labour: Farm Labour Migration to Canada Since 1945. London: Routledge.
- W. Shaffir, V. Satzewich and
H. Taraky, (Accepted) ‘Policing Newcomers in Canada: Policy,Training
and Practice’ in P. Van Aerschot and P. Daenzer, eds, Integration and the Protection
of Immigrants from Nordic
Perspective: London; Ashgate.
V. Satzewich. 2013. ‘Ethnic and Racial Inequality’, in Robert Brym, ed., New Society:
Sociology for the 21st Century (Seventh Edition). Toronto: Nelson, pp. 182-209.
V. Satzewich and W. Shaffir. 2012. ‘The Informal Settlement Sector: Broadening the Lens to Understand Newcomer Integration in Canada’, in Lorne Tepperman and Angela Kalyta, eds., Reading Sociology. Toronto: Oxford University Press. Pp. 237-44.
- V. Satzewich, 2011. ‘Transnational Migration: A New Historical Phenomenon?’, in Leon Fink, editor, Workers Across the Americas: The Transnational Turn in Labor History. New York: Oxford University Press.
- V. Satzewich. 2008.
‘Ethnic and Racial Inequality’, in Robert Brym, ed., New Society:
Sociology for the 21st Century (Fifth Edition). Toronto: Nelson.
- V. Satzewich. 2007. ‘Whiteness Studies: Race, Diversity and the New Essentialism’, in Sean Hier and B. Singh Bolaria, eds., Race and Racism in Canada. Peterborough. Broadview Press.
- V. Satzewich, 2006. ‘The Economic Rights of Migrant and Immigrant Workers in Canada and the United States’, in Rhoda Howard-Hassman and Claude Welch, eds., Economic Rights in Canada and the United States. Pittsburgh: University of Pennsylvania Press. Pp. 169-188.
- K. Matthews and V. Satzewich, 2006. ‘The Invisible Transnationals?: Americans In Canada’, in V. Satzewich and Lloyd Wong, eds., Transnational Identities and Practices in Canada. Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press, pp. 164-179.
- V. Satzewich and L. Wong, 2006. ‘Introduction: Conceptual, Theoretical and Empirical Issues in the Study of Transnationalism’, in V. Satzewich and L. Wong, eds, Transnational Identities and Practices in Canada.Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press, pp. 1-12.
- V. Satzewich, 2004. 'Ethnic and Racial Inequality', in Robert Brym ed., New Society: Sociology for the 21st Century (fourth edition)
- V. Satzewich and L. Wong, 2003. 'Immigration, Ethnicity and Race: The Transformation of Transnationalism, Localism and Identities', in Wallace Clement and Leah Vosko, eds. Changing Canada: Political Economy as Transformation. Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen's University Press, pp. 363-390.
- A.M. McCalla and V. Satzewich, 2002. 'Settler Capitalism and the Construction of Immigrants And "Indians" as Racialized Others', in Wendy Chan and Kiran Mirchandani, eds., Crimes of Colour: Racialization and the Criminal Justice System in Canada. Peterborough:Broadview Press, pp. 25-44.
- V. Satzewich, 1999. 'Capital Accumulation and State Formation: the Contradictions of International Migration', in B. Singh Bolaria, ed., Social Issues and Contradictions in Canadian Society (Third Edition). Toronto: Harcourt, Brace Jovanovich.
- V. Satzewich, 1999. 'Social Stratification; Class and Racial Inequality', in B. Singh Bolaria, ed., Social Issues and Contradictions in Canadian Society (third edition). Toronto: Harcourt, Brace Jovanovich.
- V. Satzewich, 1999. 'The Political Economy of Race and Ethnicity', in P. Li, ed., Race and Ethnic Relations in Canada (Second Edition). Toronto: Oxford University Press, pp. 311-346.
- V. Satzewich, 1998. 'Race, Racism and Racialization: The Career of Contested Concepts', in V. Satzewich, ed., Racism and Social Inequality in Canada. Toronto: Thompson Educational Publishers. pp. 25-46.
- Vic Satzewich, 2013. 'Visa Officers as Gatekeepers of a State's Borders: The Social Determinants of Discretion in Spousal Sponsorship Cases in Canada'. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1369183X.2013.854162
- Vic Satzewich, 2010. ‘Measuring Racism: A Case for Verstehen’, Canadian Journal for
- Social Research. Vol. 3, num. 2, pp. 45-57.
- Vic Satzewich and William Shaffir, 2009, ‘Racism versus Professionalism: Claims and Counter-claims about Racial Profiling’, Canadian Journal of Criminology and Criminal Justice, vol. 51, no. 2: 199-226.
- Linda Mahood and Vic Satzewich, 2009. ‘The Save the Children Fund and the
- Russian Famine of 1921-23: claims and counter-claims about feeding “Bolshevik” children’, Journal of Historical Sociology, vol. 22, no. 1: 57-83.
- V. Satzewich, 2007/08. ‘Multiculturalism, Transnationalism and the Hijacking of Canadian Foreign Policy: A Pseudo Problem?. International Journal, vol. 63, no. 1: 43-67
- V. Satzewich, 2007. ‘Business or Bureaucratic Dominance in Immigration Policymaking in Canada: Why was Mexico Added to the Caribbean Agricultural Workers Program in 1974?’, Journal of International Migration and Integration, vol. 8, no. 3: 255-75.
- V. Satzewich, W. Isajiw and E. Duvlako, 2006. ‘Social Networks and the Occupational Settlement Experiences of Recent Immigrants from Ukraine in Toronto’, Journal of Ukrainian Studies, 31(Summer-Winter): 1-25.
- V. Satzewich, 2000. 'Whiteness Limited: Racialization and the Social Construction of "Peripheral Europeans"'. Histoire sociale/Social History, vol. 23, pp. 271-290.
- P. Jungbluth and V. Satzewich, 1999. 'School Careers, Social Class and Ethnicity: The Case of Elementary School Pupils in the Netherlands', Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Onderwijs, Vorming en Opvoeding (Netherlands Journal of Schools, Education and Upbringing), vol. 15, pp. 182-196.
- R. Laliberte and V. Satzewich, 1999. 'Native Migrant Labour and the Alberta Sugar Beet Industry', Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 65-86.
- V. Satzewich, 1997. 'Indian Agents and the 'Indian Problem' in Canada in 1946: Reconsidering the Theory of Coercive Tutelage', Canadian Journal of Native Studies, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 227-57.
- V. Satzewich, 1996. 'Patronage, Moral Regulation and the Recruitment of Indian Affairs Personnel, 1879-1900', Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 144-166.
- V. Satzewich, 1996. "'Where's the Beef?': Cattle Killing, Rations Policy and First Nations Criminality in Southern Alberta, 1892-1895", Journal of Historical Sociology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 188-212.
- V. Satzewich and L. Mahood, 1995, 'Indian Agents and the Residential School System in Canada, 1946-1970', Historical Studies in Education, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 41-65.
- V. Satzewich, 1994, 'Who's In and Who's Out: Defining the Boundaries of the Imagined Community of Aboriginal People in Canada', International Journal of Comparative Race and Ethnic Studies, vol. 1, no. 1&2, pp. 49-67.
- V. Satzewich and L. Mahood, 1994, 'Indian Affairs and Band Governance: Deposing Indian Chiefs in Western Canada, 1896-1911', Canadian Ethnic Studies, XXVI, no. 1, pp. 40-58.
- V. Satzewich, 1993. 'Migrant and Immigrant Families in Canada: State Coercion and Legal Control in the Formation of Ethnic Families', Journal of Comparative Family Studies, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 315-338.
- R. Miles and V. Satzewich, 1990. 'Migration, Racism and "Post-Modern" Capitalism', Economy and Society, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 334-58.
- V. Satzewich, 1989. 'Racisms: The Reactions to Chinese Migrants in Canada at the Turn of the Century', International Sociology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 311-327.
- V. Satzewich, 1989. 'Racism and Canadian Immigration Policy: The Government's View of Caribbean Migration, 1962-66', Canadian Ethnic Studies, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 77-97.
- V. Satzewich, 1989. 'Unfree Labour and Canadian Capitalism', Studies in Political Economy, vol. 28, Spring, pp. 89-110.
- V. Satzewich, 1988. 'The Canadian State and the Racialization of Caribbean Migrant Farm Labour', Ethnic and Racial Studies, vol. 11, no 3, PP 282-304.
- V. Satzewich and P. Li, 1987. 'Immigrant Labour in Canada: The Cost and Benefit of Ethnic Origin in the Job Market', Canadian Journal of Sociology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 229-241.